Saturday, March 1, 2008

What!?

Every day I have about a 30 minute commute to work. I also happen to be engaged to a man who lives over an hour away, so needless to say, I spend a decent amount of time in my car. Most days I listen to the radio or talk to Curtis or my family on the phone, but occasionally I just need some quiet time, and I just drive. Yesterday was one of those day.

So picture this - I am driving down the road and I look to my right and see a police car. It wasn't your typical police car, though. It was one of those "special" police cars. You know...the ones that don't have the lights on top, and they have some specific designation painted on the side of the car informing everyone of whatever police-related task they perform every day. This particular police car was black, and painted on the side of it in gold letters were the words "Criminal Patrol."

I looked at the car, and let the words sink in for a moment before the thought occurs to me, "What!?"

Isn't the primary purpose of most police cars to patrol for criminals? What makes that guy special? And if he's the one patrolling for criminals, then what the heck are all of the regular police guys doing all day?

"What!?"

Scenario #2

No less than 30 seconds later (while I'm still driving next to the police car), I see a minivan with shoe polished words written all over the windows. On every available inch of window space the words "Girl Scout Cookies" and "Last Chance!" jump out at me. Again, I let this sink in before I have the same thought: "What!?"

Am I supposed to follow the van to their home to buy the girl scout cookies? What if I was a bad person? Do they want me to know where they live? Do I speed up, pass the van, pull over, and try to flag them down as they pass so that I can buy the girl scout cookies? Do I pull along side them, roll down my window, motion for them to do the same, toss them money with 100% accuracy, and receive my cookies in the same way?

"What!?"


Do you ever have those moments? Those times in life when you see something so ludicrous that there's nothing else to say, no other way to respond, than to just stare blankly and say "What!?"

I wonder if God ever has "What!? moments" with me. Probably....thank God for grace.

No comments: