Thursday, December 6, 2007

Story #1

Over the past couple of weeks I have written three stories for Turning Point's Christmas curriculum. I've been told to post them on the blog, so here you go. This is the first one. I'll post the other two in the next couple of days.


Heart of A Princess

As the sun began to rise above the horizon, the little girl stirred in her bed. She slowly opened her eyes, and was overwhelmed with the sudden feeling that something was different.

"What is it?" she wondered as she stretched under her warm covers.

Suddenly she sat straight up in her bed, as the events from the previous day rushed through her mind. The Coronation. There had been hundreds of people, clapping and cheering and rejoicing – rejoicing because her father had been crowned King! He had looked so strong, and so important as they'd placed the crown on his head. He was the perfect King, and she had been so proud of her Daddy.

"My father is the King," she mused aloud, "and that makes me…a princess."

Saying it out loud didn't make it feel any more real, so the little girl climbed out of bed, stood in front of her full length mirror, and said sternly to herself,

"You are the daughter of the King. You are a princess. And you will be the best princess that this kingdom has ever seen."

Satisfied with her pep talk to herself, the little girl quickly dressed and started out of her bedroom door to accomplish her only goal of the day – to find her father, and celebrate with him. She wanted nothing more that sit at his side and let him know how blessed and excited she felt to be his child.

As she started down the hall way, the little girl was suddenly intercepted by a short, plump woman who was draped in several different bolts of colored fabric and had a tape measure thrown around her neck.

"Well come along now, Princess, we haven't got all day. We have to get you measured and fitted," said the Fabric Woman.

"I'm sorry, what do you mean, measured and fitted?" questioned the little girl, "I have plenty of clothes, and I'm on my way to find my father. I don't need anything new right now."

The look on the Fabric Woman's face was one of shock and alarm as she answered the little girl. "My dear! It is my job to make clothes for the most beautiful people in the world, and right now it is my job to make you look like the princess that you are. After all, if you don't look like a princess, how will people ever know that you're the princess?"

She was torn. On one hand, she desperately wanted to be a good princess, and follow all of the important rules. On the other hand, more than anything, she wanted to find her father, sit at his side, and enjoy being with him for today. She finally decided that it wouldn't hurt anything to be measured for a new dress or two. After all, she did want to look like the daughter of the king.

After finally escaping from the clutches of the Fabric Woman, the little girl once again headed out to find her father. She rushed down the hallway of the palace, ready to take a shortcut through the dining hall in order to reach the throne room where her father was receiving well wishers this morning. People from all over the kingdom were lined up to give glory to her Father, and she desperately wanted to join them; to sit at his side. Just as she turned the corner the little girl ran directly into the tallest, thinnest man she had ever seen, and was stopped in her tracks.

"Eh-hem! Well, yes, pardon me, Princess. How convenient that I found you so early in my search…or rather, how convenient that you found me! My services have been retained in order to instruct you in the fine arts of etiquette, propriety, and public behavior. I was just coming to retrieve you for our first lesson. Come along now…I can see that we haven't any time to waste!"

Mustering up every ounce of politeness that she had inside, the little girl responded, "I'm so sorry, sir, but is it possible to have our first lesson tomorrow? Today I would like to sit with my father."

"Reschedule lesson one!? Nonsense!" replied Mr. Manners, "It is my job to teach you to behave like a princess. After all, if you don't behave like a princess, then how will people know that you are a princess?"

The little girl reluctantly followed Mr. Manners to lesson number one, telling herself that learning to be a good princess would make her father proud, and that there would be time after lunch to spend with the King. She practiced her curtsy, spoke quiet, polite words, and learned to waltz; all the while wishing that she was somewhere else entirely.

After finally being dismissed from lesson number one, she once again set out in search of the throne room. And she was once again interrupted. This time her interruption was a woman in a business suit and high heals, holding a clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other. Without a word, the Business Lady grabbed the arm of the little girl and whisked her down the hallway to a parlor with a couch.

"Who are you?" the little girl asked, somewhat shocked at the abrupt way that this lady had directed her to the couch.

"I am the keeper of your schedule, Princess, and we have many things to go over. You have a busy week ahead. You'll be feeding the homeless tomorrow, playing with the orphans on Friday, and working with several committees over the weekend to develop a plan for the beautification of the kingdom. After all, if you don't serve like a princess, then how will people know that you are a princess?" the Business Lady kept talking, but the little girl's head was spinning too much to listen.

While her schedule keeper continued to talk, the little girl stood up and began to walk away. Without missing a beat, the Business Lady followed behind her, making checkmarks and notes on her clipboard. As she walked down the hallway with the Business Lady trailing behind, the two were soon joined by the Fabric Woman, and Mr. Manners.

"Princess, we must make you a gown from this fabric…"

"Stand up straight, Princess, and hold your head high as you walk…."

"…make an appearance at the garden party, and head to the children's wing of the hospital to play with cancer patients…."

Rather than respond to any of her instructors, the little girl walked directly to the throne room of the palace, determined to see her father, the King. Her three teachers trailed behind, each making comments and suggestions, and giving her directions. Ignoring them, she walked through the giant, heavy doors that lead to her father's throne. Most of the well-wishers were gone, and the little girl's heart broke as she saw that the King's throne was vacant.

With tears running down her face, she turned to the Fabric Woman, Mr. Manners, and the Business Lady and said, "I know that you all mean well. And I promise you that there is almost nothing that I want more than to be the best princess that this kingdom has ever had. I want to look like a princess, and behave like a princess, and serve like a princess. But before I can do all of those things, I need to see my father, the King. I need to sit with him, and spend time with him. I will look like a princess because I will stand at his side. I will behave like a princess because it will honor him. And I will serve like a princess because it will bring glory to the King, and to the kingdom."

With these words, the little girl sat down on the steps leading up to her father's throne, put her head in her hands, and cried. Barely a minute had passed before she felt herself being lifted into the firm, strong arms that could only belong to her father. He picked her up, carried her to his throne, and sat with her on his lap. He wiped away her tears and in a deep, reassuring voice said,

"All day long, I have sat in this throne and listened to people who have come to give honor to my name. But, Princess, the words that you have just spoken give honor to my heart. The greatest glory that I can receive as King is what you have given me today."

As she sat with her father – her King – the little girl knew that her first thought of the morning had been correct. Something was different. And she was pretty sure that it was her heart.


2 comments:

TheBrownHouse said...

it was great Cass! i can totally picture everything happening in my head...you should make it a children's book! i liked it alot!

Joel said...

excellent writing Cassie