Saturday, December 22, 2007

Home

I'm home right now. Home for Christmas, home in Lubbock, home with my parents, and my siblings, and my church, and old friends. Home with my mom's cooking, and my daddy's stories. Home with familiar streets, and memorable landmarks, and favorite restaurants, and radio DJ's that I grew up with.

This place is still home. But it's also interesting to notice how my definition of home has changed. While it's true that I'm home because I'm with my family in my hometown, there's also a part of me that feels like I've left home behind. Maybe that's because my parents live in a house that I've never lived in. Maybe it's because my life is in Fort Worth now. Maybe it's because my heart is tied to someone who's not here with me right now. It's probably a combination of these things.

It's funny how the older I get, the more split my ties to "home" become. Home will always be with my parents and my siblings, but as life changes, geography changes, and people change, things seem to be shifting a bit. Because after this Christmas, home will also be with the man that I love...wherever that may be. There's a tension there that I'm sure will work itself out as these things seem to do in life, but right now I'm finding it very interesting. It's an odd mix of emotions to be so excited about seeing my family and being in Lubbock, and to still know that something...someone...is missing. I don't like it very much. But I suppose that's just part of this season in my life that I have to put up with. Right now I'm enjoying today, looking forward to "One Day," counting down the minutes until I get to see "someone" again, and going to eat my mom's wonderful food!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I need to call that 'someone' and let him know you wrote about him. I'm sure he loves you very much, too and can't wait to hold you again.

Jim Wood said...

Good defination of HOME, Marie. I agree, and that you seem to be learning that HOME is where you spend the most time and have the closest people around you. I'm sure that you'll make a fine HOME of your own with a life partener in due time.
Love ya,
Grand Paw